Sunday 31 May 2009

Design Practice 203 Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

My time management and organisation skills were forced to improve due to the long period of time in which we had to structure independently. In the beginning I found it tough to get started and to stick to my timetable but as time went on it became easier to get into the projects and surprisingly enough the weeks went by really quickly which gave me an extra sense of urgency!
My software and photography skills improved as I had to manipulate images and I learnt a lot of new tricks which really contributed to finishing the final pieces.
I had to also put into practice my layout skills since I was surprised at how challenging it was to organise the awkward images and information, in particular onto the wagamama posters.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

My primary research methods in particular have improved through use of photography, which informed my design development process in both the wagamama and shelter brief. I had to experiment with each stage of development and make necessary amendments to create a more appropriate resolution. This method was very time consuming however, as I was having to use trial and error with both briefs, looking at baking cookies and strategically placing very unco-operative noodles together!! The work paid off however as I got some good photographs which are instrumental in my final designs.
When researching past advertising for lastminute.com I got a better feel for the type of design they use which is why I decided to go for a very simple idea which would create more impact in reality.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My work is more successful when I am more active and ‘hands-on’. I think this is because I enjoy this method more which shows through in the outcomes. The wagamama noodle photos are really interesting and the shelter biscuits are successful in communicating my concept. This approach to working is most suited to me and I will adapt this style automatically when the brief lends itself to do so.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

The lastminute.com resolution was not up to the standard that I had hoped which I think is due to my weakness in software skills. The brief was only supposed to be for one day and I thought a fun and instant resolution would be something different in contrast to the way I was working on the other briefs, but I found myself getting frustrated since it took about 2-3 days in the end. This did teach me a lot however and I learnt a few more things on photoshop which I’m sure will be of use in the future. I also know not to depend so much on software to produce a final resolution in future as it doesn't suit my style of working and I did not enjoy the process as much as with the other briefs.

5. Identify four things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Although my time management skills have improved I still need to get better at organising myself so that I am working at the same pace throughout and so that I don't feel under as much pressure at the end.

The lastminute.com brief would have been more successful with a different approach altogether. Perhaps if I had taken my own photos of a train station or environment to impose the imagery onto it would have also looked more effective.

Although I got some great photos of the noodles for wagamama, when creating the posters the images were very awkward to place and to crop appropriately. In hindsight I would have placed the noodles onto a square or rectangular base rather than a round plate and I also would have photographed them in a lighting tent or more professional lighting environment.

I also would have changed my approach to the shelter brief and planned it better. Since the brief specified to produce three posters, I should have planned to have a different variation of cake/biscuit on each photograph and in hindsight would have like to have included a biscuit on one, slice of cake on one and then cupcake (for example) on the third, which look more edible and inviting. That said I am still happy with the resolutions even though it would have been good to take further.

6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

Attendance 3.5
Punctuality 4
Motivation 4
Commitment 4
Quantity of work produced 3.5
Quality of work produced 3.5
Contribution to the group 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment